1. The first one is public transport. People here don't seem to be happy with what they have, but they haven't experienced "Le RER B". In four months of CityRail, we haven't experienced a single strike and trains have hardly ever been late. Also, there is a clearly marked "safe area" on the platforms and trains for those late night rides. It must have been pretty cheap to create, and it's all the more a brilliant idea: people tend to stay seated together hence reducing any chance of something happening.
Another thing you have to love about CityRail is the speaker voice on the platforms. While most of the stations use pre-recorded messages, a few in the city actually have someone greeting the passengers.

"Hi everyone, I hope you all had a nice Friday. The next train is a bit crowded so may I suggest that you get on the next one if you can. In any case, please stand clear of the doors and make a nice path for the passengers to alight. Have a nice weekend!"
2. The second of those differences would be candy bars. As stupid as it sounds, I can tell you that even after 4 months you can end up spending a few minutes at the convenience store wondering which ones you haven't tried yet. Of course this blog wouldn't be the same if I didn't add a few pictures, so here you go:

I guess my #1 favourite has to be the KitKat cookie dough - it tastes like Ben&Jerry's cookie dough ice cream in a chocolate wafer. Close second is the MilkyBar, which is basically Galak in a different packaging.
Fun fact: The MilkyBar was created by Nestle in 1937, but the sales really took off 30 years later when The Doors covered the famous "Show me the way to the next milkybar". Wait, what?
3. Finally, another major difference is the language. Sure people speak english, but it's nothing like the accent you're used to! If you're a girl, you might have heard that sweet Australian drawl in episodes of HeartBreak High. If you're a guy you probably haven't - well I haven't. Anyway, after a few months of full-time exposure I am finally starting to understand how it works. So my friends, here's a few tips for when you come and visit!
- [owe] is pronounced [aowe]
- [aille] apparently becomes [oaille]
- [ey] becomes [aey] or even [aille] if you overdo it
Which gives us something like:
- How far is the traillen stailletion?
- I'd say it's a twenty-foaieve minute ride.
- Then we'd better gaow, we don't wanna be laillete for the shaow...
- What shaow?
- Didn't you get my messidge, [a cool band] is playing in [a cool venue]! (careful here, "message" is an irregular one)
- Oh that was tonoaillet? Alroaieght, let's gaow then!
Disclaimer: I accept no liability for any weird or stupid-sounding accent after you try my unbelievably accurate method.
1 comment:
Salut, mon neveu,
Tu sais quoi? l'accent australien, c'est l'accent londonien (Cockney!)
Tu l'as jamais entendu? Pour moi, c'est des vieux souvenirs: les porteurs en gare de Victoria, pour mes premiers voyages à Londres! c'est vrai que ça fait drôle les premières fois, mais au moins je ne serai pas dépaysée à Sydney (et ailleurs, je suppose!)A bientôt, en octobre (Dimanche 5 quand vous serez rentrés de Melbourne). Mon hotel est le Boulevard (ex-Bayview) sur William street, mais je vous recontacterai d'ici là
Bisous à Sophie et à toi Babette
Post a Comment