So last Friday was my last day at my old job. Not that it has anything to do with going to Canberra, but I thought it was worth mentioning. At 6pm, I said goodbye to my colleagues, goodbye to the harbour, and I joined Sophie at the central station where the bus was waiting for us. Canberra is a 3.5 hour drive but it doesn't seem that long when the light are out and you're reading/sleeping. You probably picture us arriving in an unknown city, half-asleep and wandering through town looking for our hostel. No no no: with temperatures close to zero, you'd have been looking at two frogs hopping down the streets as fast as possible. Luckily for us, after a good night sleep, we woke up to a bright warm and sunny day. The ideal weather to do what tourists do.
But yeah, what is it that tourists do in Canberra? Well it's the capital city of Australia, so there's a lot of building with the word "national" in their names, and of course museums and embassies and parliament houses (yep, 2 of them).

I like panoramas
Fun facts: Do you know how Canberra became the capital city of Australia? Until 1908, it was just a small village like many others in New South Wales. But the election of Australia's capital city changed its destiny: with Sydney and Melbourne fighting so hard over who would make a better national capital, the only fair choice seemed to be that little village geographically in the middle of the two contestants. The town was entirely re-designed and build for the occasion, from new buildings to the creation of an artificial lake in 1963.
Here's a few pictures from our first day in the city:
Random shots, with Canberra's very first school at the right (with only one classroom, Little house on the prairie style)
The war memorial
A world map centered around Australia
And that took us about the whole day! I can hear those of you who know how sport-inclined we are laughing... but Canberra is a huge city, and on top of that we actually climbed to the top of its highest mountain! Of course we only realised what we were doing half way through, and it would have been a pity to turn back.
Us at the top of the highest mountain
So the next day, having realized that walking wasn't really an option here, we put our genius minds to work. Think... think... what is the one thing that we never do that can make our trip a hundred times better? Renting bikes! And our Sunday was full of markets and lakes and aboriginal art. And parliament houses and totems.
The proof!
Random pictures of Canberra
The new parliament house
Two very different embassies
Totems in front of the Papua embassy
Kangaroos, emus and other animals adorning the old parliament house
And a few of the many statues that we saw along the way
What a weekend! We're still a bit stiff but we had a great time! Oh and I almost forgot about the contest. A free kangaroo to whoever finds the name of this bird:
(conditions apply. kangaroo might be made of plastic. while stocks last.)
5 comments:
contest... I like so much contests !
It's just an "Anhinga melanogaster novaehollandiae", Anhinga australien in french... So, I won ? Tell me, I won ?? Hurrah !!
But I would like a real kangaroo, is it possible ? It would be very fun in St Hippolyte :-)
Thank you so much !
Lots of love to you both,
your old dad ;)
Oh, I forgot... thank you too for the very interesting report of your weekend in Canberra. Text and photographs are great !
See ya, frozen frogs :-)
dad
Hi dad! Congratulations on the kangaroo :) It was an open contest as I didn't know the bird myself, and you seem to have found the answer! Did you already know about this bird? Was it listed in one of the books at home? ;)
I will try to see what I can do about sending a real kangaroo by post!
Lots of love too,
Hi my son :)
I've no information at home about this bird... I've only one book on European birds !
But you'll see all you want to know about Anhinga here : http://www.oiseaux.net/birds/australian.darter.html...
I hope your new job is interesting, and friendly atmosphere...
I will try to contact you with Skype in the next few days.
I kiss you both,
dad
Damn, too late. Darter... your question was so easy.
DAMN!
MR L. WANTS ANOTHER CONTEST!
Post a Comment