Then we had a lovely day, except for the crappy weather. There was a lot to learn and a zoo actually seems quite different when you see it from the inside: preparing the food, feeding the animals, walking on the wrong side of the fences! Oh I forgot to mention, he was a keeper for the Australian section, so it mostly involved marsupials. You don't want to walk on the wrong side of the lion fence.
On the ferry, then arriving at the zoo
A small kangaroo
And a big kangaroo (on steroids?)
Believe it or not, a "tree kangaroo"
After the tour, we wandered on our own between the giraffes and the lions and the rain. We finally got home the same way we got there - on the ferry, with a beautiful sunset over the harbour.
It's not always about kangaroos!
This is also the day I learned more about using depth of field
(+ check out Timon looking for Pumba in the last picture)
On the way back home, it's amazing how quickly the sun sets.
Facts to impress your friends at dinner parties:
1. I've always thought that platypuses were the only egg-laying mammals. In fact they're not - the order of monotremes is composed of two living species: platypuses and echidnas. Both have very special abilities like being able to perceive electric impulses.
2. It is a known fact that eagles have an incredible eye sight. But you never really picture how incredible. The guy hosting the bird show was telling us that from where we were standing, they could probably see a rabbit walking in the botanic gardens, which is the green area at the bottom of the buildings (about 2.5km away).
Of course, this is most handy when an eagle mate runs late at the bar. "Hey I can see you're still at the nest! Step on it!". But of course they don't have mobiles which renders the whole thing pointless :D
3. The mom kangaroo's pregnancy only lasts 36 days. At birth, the baby only weighs about 1g, and looks nothing like a kangaroo yet. It's just a small jelly beans with two little arms and black spots where the eyes will be. The joey then continues his growth inside the front poach. A joey, that's how a baby kangaroo is called. About 6 months later, he starts going for hops and coming back to the poach - until her mom decides it's over and closes the poach altogether. Poor little thing!
2 comments:
Really amazing!
Not to impress my friends to dinner parties, but I'm impressed myself :)
Very interesting tour... and I saw there just the kangaroo I'ld like you to bring me at home : image DSC00788 (the small one)... Is it possible ? "he"'s so cute :)
Thank's a lot in advance !
Lots of love to you both,
dad
Thanks a lot for all your news and information, and the beautiful pics, I can't wait to see it all with my own eyes in October. I won't go to Canberra, but everything concerning Sydney - and Perth - will be very useful! By the way your dad said that you were scared of driving on the left, but frankly it's not a problem , and don't tell me it's because I'm left-handed! Why not hire a car for one day and try your hand at it, and if you really can't - though it's would be more pleasant to see more of the surrounding countryside - well, use your muscles again and ... thank God for bicycles!! I love your sense of humour, you're really your dad's son!! Big Bisous Babette
Post a Comment